Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Day weekend is upon us once again. For many people, Memorial Day weekend kicks off the summer party season. Poolside BBQ's, trips to the beach, the lake, or up to the high country for some camping. Whether we agree or disagree with the policies that have placed members of the armed services abroad or here at home, the fact that those men and women put themselves in harms way for the rest of us deserves our recognition and respect. It's hard to throw a rock (please, don't throw a rock to test my theory) without hitting someone that has served, is serving, or knows someone that has served or given the ultimate sacrifice for their country. My father served in the Korean War, which was labeled with a far more cozy term of 'Conflict' by the government. I don't think the difference between the term 'conflict' or 'war' made much of a difference to my dad during the 27 months that he spent there as a prisoner of war. He was fortunate. He got out. He got to come home and live out the rest of his life as a civilian, raise a family and enjoy the American Dream. A little fact that you can understand I am more than ecstatic about. Otherwise you wouldn't be reading this right now. Consider the sons and daughters that never existed because their would-be parent never had the chance to raise a family of their own. Consider the parents that never again had the chance to tell their son or daughter that they loved them. I appreciate what my dad and the countless other soldiers did for me and for the rest of us.

So this weekend before you pull that steak off the grill, drop your boat in the water, or raise your glass in the air to toast the long weekend with your friends and family, stop for just a minute.  Remember people like my dad and those like him that gave of themselves so we could have a long weekend. My first beer this weekend is for my dad. I'm going to call him and thank him personally.

E.

No comments:

Post a Comment